Critical for government to subsidize diabetic care: CJI


[ad_1]

Indian Chief Justice (CJI) NV Ramana said on Sunday it was essential for the state to support and subsidize diabetes care, as the human cost is “immense” and it is a “costly disease” . Calling diabetes a lifelong disease and enemy of the poor, CJI said it was imperative to conduct India-specific studies targeting the local population, which will help develop appropriate treatment protocols. He said the government needs to train and introduce more medical professionals to deal with the disease.

Speaking at the “Ahuja Bajaj Diabetes Symposium,” CJI Ramana said COVID-19 has already exposed the fragility of our “overburdened health system” and the need of the hour is to innovate and develop modern drugs to find a cure for diabetes.

“The human cost is immense. The economic cost to the nation is immeasurable. Therefore, it is essential that the state supports and subsidizes the care of diabetics. The government must also train and introduce more health professionals to deal with this problem. he said.

CJI has stated that the medical profession is widely regarded as the noblest and that “Vaidyo Narayano Hari” (a doctor is to be considered a form of Lord Narayana) is the most appropriate way to describe doctors and medical professionals. health.

“The health of the nation and its citizens is paramount and, of course, is a prerequisite for achieving the development aspirations we have set for ourselves,” he said.

CJI said it was delighted when Indian scientists and researchers proposed a COVID-19 vaccine a few months after the outbreak of the pandemic. However, “we are a long way from finding a permanent cure for diabetes, which is an old disease,” CJI Ramana said.

“My only wish is that a cure be found. For this, scientists and researchers must give it their full attention. The central role played by doctors in raising awareness of the disease and its control is laudable,” he said. -he adds.

CJI has said that insulin and related health products for diabetes are very unaffordable for the vast majority of the population and in this context, free walk-in testing is of great importance.

“This disease is the enemy of the poor. It is a costly disease, which represents a recurring financial burden on the life of the patient,” he said.

Stressing the need for India-specific studies on diabetes, CJI said that although there is a wealth of literature available on this issue, unfortunately most are based on Western studies.

He said that, according to studies by the World Health Organization (WHO), of the total spending on diabetes, almost 65% is on treatments and drugs, while the remaining 35% is at social cost according to global estimates.

CJI said doctors and researchers have rightly described diabetes as an “opportunistic killer” because it is the product of a modern, sedentary lifestyle.

“The main myth attached to this disease is that it is a rich man’s disease. Over the past two decades, a paradigm shift has been observed in the number of people affected in urban areas. to rural areas, ”he said, adding that diabetes is a“ very depressing disease ”that lasts a lifetime and has no cure.

“You could say it’s as old as human civilization. It’s actually a silent epidemic for ages. It took the Covid pandemic to show the deadly impact of diabetes, because it was one of the major co-morbidities that claimed the lives of millions of people around the world, ”said CJI Ramana.

He said that due to lack of access to affordable health care and awareness, most cases go undetected for the longest period of time.

“But the reality is that this disease affects people of all classes and all age groups. One aspect that needs to be highlighted is that besides the high profile reasons for obesity and lack of physical activity, stress is one of the main triggers of diabetes. ,” he said.

CJI said that managing stress, discipline in eating and following a fitness regimen are the most useful tools in overcoming the disease and raising awareness of its risk factors, check-ups and regular screenings are also important.

“Unfortunately, we are still not able to normalize the allowable blood sugar levels. There is a lot of confusion due to the different standards applied in different countries at different times. We must at least try to standardize the parameters in our country, ”he said.

CJI paid tribute to Professor Dr Man Mohan Singh Ahuja, winner of the Padma Shri Prize, and the late Professor Dr Jabir Singh Bajaj, recipient of Padma Bhushan, and said they have contributed immensely to the understanding of diabetes.

[ad_2]